Friday, March 20, 2009

Charlie Conway, Minneapolis, Minnesota

since hearing about this night, a week ago, I've been mentally replaying all the great Mighty Ducks moments in my head. theres the Kenny Woo triple axel against Iceland, Fulton Reed casually shooting pucks into a suitcase in an alley just as Bombay happens to be driving by, the knucklepuck by Keenan from Keenan and Kel, the absurdness of the entire junior olympic team becoming the jv squad at the prep school (if those guys were so good, why werent they playing against Trinidad and Tobago), the infamous flying-V, "I woke up and the pain was gone," and my all time favorite, the Charlie Conway wisdom, "just think, Coach, half inch the other way and you would have missed completely." You may have noticed that none of these classic moments were from D3, and that is by design. I dont even consider that part of the trilogy because it was awful. but enough about Emilio and the gang. lets move on to the fact that i've skated twice in my life and never with a stick in my hand. I wish i could take a video of this for everyone to see, but i think im going to need both hands to pick myself off the ice every two minutes so i think the video would look a lot like the Blair Witch Project when it was all said and done. keep me in your thoughts today.

after discovering an internation extention of the Baenen family yesterday, i was also propositioned with being interviewed and photographed for the paper in the town of the school i was at. I guess its not everyday that a "pro baseball player" comes to Nenndorf (i'm pretty sure the teacher told the students that I was some kind of professional from America because I signed 40 autographs, 1 on a soccer ball and 2 on tennis balls and the kids kept looking at me like i was a circus attraction- i now know what Venus Hotentot felt like with her big ol booty.) they want to take pictures of me next week when im there and ask me a few questions.

I tasted a local delicasy yesterday called a Doner (pronounced DOUGH-na) its a lot like a Pita pocket, the bread's a bit thicker, a thing of beauty. i got mine with beef, but i think next time i'll try the chicken. and if you get one, i recommend the hot sauce. As i made a mess of the deliciousness, i couldnt help but think about how good it would be if i was drunk. the explosion of flavor in my mouth would have been tenfold had i been enebriated. This would have been a go-to at Marvin's; throw in some Franks fries, delievered by a Dahman brother rocking a bandana of course, and call it a night.

Tomorrow we go back to play the Woodlarks, a team we beat handily on Sunday. this time I'm predicting a 3-4 day at the plate. 2 doubles. my only out is going to be a pissrod at the shortstop. this is all considering there is no wind, because if there is even the slightest breeze out to left im dropping and driving.

A-Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment